Monday, September 1, 2008

Top Note how-to

So, here I am again. Hmmm, can you tell what I'm doing with my 3-day weekend? LOL Thought I'd do a little tutorial on how I did the square and circle with the big shot and top note die.
Start with cardstock piece 4.25x5.5".

Make your "sandwich" from bottom to top:
cutting plate, die, cardstock, cutting plate
and feed through big shot.

I always use the same cutting plate on top
and, yes, it's supposed to get cut and look like that.
I'm saving my "bottom" plate uncut so that,
should Stampin' Up! offer embossing folders,
I'll be ready. :)


This is what you get after you run it through the big shot.

Note: save all your scraps...you'll see why in a bit.



Rotate your cardstock 90 degrees and center it on the die. Use the points of the cardstock and the die to be sure to lined it up straight. Run that through your big shot.

I'm leaving the top cutting plate off for the sake of the pictures. Be sure to replace it on top of your cardstock before each cut.


This is the square you get after the second cut. You can either use it like this or continue on to create the circle


For the circle you'll take your square and turn it 45 degrees to line up the 4 corners with the points on the die.


This is what you have after feeding it through the big shot.

Don't forget to save those scraps...


Now, turn that shape 90 degrees like so and cut.

Here it is after it's ride through the big shot.


And here is your final circle piece.


Now I hope you saved those scraps...

Because this is what you'll have left over.

A frame, 2 brackets and 4 photo corners.

I hope you'll enjoy your big shot as much as I am!!

(Customer ordering begins tomorrow!!!)

Thanks for stopping by.

15 comments:

Carmen said...

Wow!! I never thought about tunring the paper around. image the possibilities!!

Tandra said...

YOU are SO stinkin' CLEVER!!!
You should get an award from SU!'s Bright Idea!!!
That is SMART!

Thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comment!!
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

How very cool! My top note is on Back order I have to wait another 2 weeks at least to get it. :( Thanks for sharing I can't wait to give it a try!

Angela said...

Thanks, Ladies! Hope, wishes for a speedy top note delivery! :)

Jennifer Wiemann said...

Amazing!
Jennifer
www.mommy2my3boys.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a great way for thinking outside of the box.

Brenda said...

Oh My Goodness, that's geneous! TFS such an awesome idea!
Brenda (craftybb)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - this is amazing!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your ingenuity!!!

Jan Hoyt said...

wow, I never would have thought to keep turning it and make a circle out of the Top Note die....that is pure genius! Thanks so much for sharing and especially thanks for the progressive photo tutorial...I guess I'm a very visual person and would never have figured it out otherwise! You rock!!

Anonymous said...

You would make Sandi Genevese sooo jealous! Thank you so much!

Leslie Hanna said...

I did both the square and the circle, and they are super easy with AMAZING results!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that! great Ideas!!

Natalie said...

Very smart!!

stampinmomma said...

Very clever! I was having trouble lining up the points for the circle, so I drew lines on the die (I know...this was very WRONG and hurt a little to do it!) with a metallic bic marker. I get perfect cirlces every time and the squares are exactly square, too. I thought my Big Shot clubbers could do this easier if they had the lines to go by. Anyway, thanks for sharing!!!

Angela said...

Stampinmomma...

Drawing lines on the die is a great idea!! I may just have to do that. :)