Friday, September 12, 2008

I'm a giver...

Today started out like any other Friday...doin' my work...makin' my calls...when *BAM* I found myself volunteering to fill a last minute opening for today's Red Cross blood drive at work.  The request was simple "We have a couple openings in this mornings donor schedule."  I didn't even realize what I was doing until after my email was sent...4 seemingly innocent words..."I can take one"...and I was committed.  Now, I'm sure you think I'm being a bit over dramatic, but up until today, aside from a vial here and there for my doctor, I'd never given blood before!  I signed up for a blood mobile in high school once, but got sick before I could make it to my appointment...but I digress...

After answering their questionnaire, which, by the way, is rather involved.  I had a bit of a wait and then up on the table.  Now, I've had bad experiences with nurses who like to go fishing for veins that simply don't want to be caught.  So, when Nurse kept pushing my right arm for a vein, I started getting nervous.  Ok, lets try the left...no?  right? no? hey, Other Nurse, come here...is that a vein?  They ended up using a blood pressure cuff as a tourniquet...but it worked.

When I was done Nurse and Other Nurse said "wow, you did great!" (yeah, they new I was a first-timer, haha)  I was surprised to be done so soon, so I asked how long it usually takes to fill a pint...8-10 minutes...you know how long it took me??  7.5!

So, anyway.  I now have 2 very nice stickers and a picture by cell phone, courtesy of a co-worker, that I'll be adding to my scrapbook journal.  This is me with Tammy, co-worker, stamping friend and blood-donation-moral-support.  Thanks, Tammy!!

I gave...did you?

2 comments:

Brandi Wiggins-Côté said...

Imagine if we all did? I donate but my husband is no longer allowed. He had a bad reaction the last time and passed out. They brought him to, gave him some juice and cookies, and promptly told him to never come back. LOL!

michelle sturgeon said...

LOL! I feel you! I gave blood for the first time in June. The questionaire IS involved! I was fine, right until the end when I almost passed out. Moral is: eat BEFORE you give blood!
I am proud of you!