Thursday, August 28, 2008

So, you think you're a Big Shot...

I am just so, so, SO excited about Stampin' Up! teaming up with Sizzix to bring us the Big Shot, as well as exclusive Stampin' Up! only dies!! Tonight I played with my Big Shot and wanted to share what I made.

First a Christmas card. I know it's still early, but I'm planning to do duplicatable Christmas cards at the October Stamp-a-Stack and wanted to flesh out some ideas. This card uses the SU! exclusive Bigz die "Top Note" and the card is a standard 4.25" x 5.5". I stamped the tree in versamark and embossed with white EP, sponged the edges of the Night of Navy Top Note with white craft ink and threaded the wide olive ribbon through a hole made by the horizontal slot punch. I like the simplicity but it seems to be lacking somthing.


Hmmm...maybe it needs glitter...




Card #2 also uses the top note, as well as the birds and blooms sizzlits set (also a SU! exclusive). I folded my base before sending it through the big shot and kept the fold inside the cut area to leave it intact. I sponged the edges of the pale plum base with matching ink. The flower is die cut from apricot appeal designer series paper (SS 08, retired). I used the little sponge tipped stick in my pastels to add pumpkin pie ink to the edges of the flowers, curled the edges and layered them, adding a little bling in the center with a rhinestone brad. The leaves are also cut using the birds and blooms die set. I stamped a little of the Baroque Motifs vine under the flower for interest and tied on a 1/4" olive ribbon. My original intent was to make this a vertical card...like so:


But I kind of like it horizontal as well...



Which do you prefer?


Christmas card: Lovely as a Tree stamp set; kraft and night of navy cardstock; versamark and whisper white craft ink; Big Shot and Top Note die; 5/8" old olive grosgrain ribbon, horizonatl slot punch, white EP, dimensionals and stamin' sponge


Flowered Note: Baroque Motifs stamp set; old olive and pumpkin pie classic ink pads; old olive textured and pale plum cardstock; apricot appeal dsp; rhinestone circle fire brad; old olive polytwill ribbon; dimensional and stampin' sponge

7 comments:

michelle sturgeon said...

Love what you are making with the Big Shot! Wish I would have gotten that die! I love how you made it into a card! I prefer it horizontal.

Katy said...

I prefer BOTH or should I say ALL? These are all lovely! I am so adicted to this die and I can't wait to try out your new trick. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Carmen said...

They both look fabulous!! TFS

Anonymous said...

I just love these cards! I so want the big shot, but haven't been able to get it yet. You've given me a lot of ideas! TFS

Anonymous said...

Love what you have done with these card! Very nice

Carol Matthews said...

Wow - either way is gorgeous. Love that flower and the way you've edged it. Didn't think I wanted a big shot but... this stuff is amazing, really!

robin dudley-howes said...

thanks for sharing. I love the simplicity of the card and the colors you chose..now I have to try. I like the card both ways.
Robin