Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ribbon Tying Tutorial

So, a while back (probably only a post or 2) I promised to try a tutorial to show you how to tie a secure ribbon that won't slide without having to borrow an extra hand from a neighbor. So, here it is...my first ever tutorial.

Disclaimer: I did NOT come up with this...it was shared by another demo at the Philly Regional Seminar I attended in September. She showed us this in passing while demonstrating a vellum technique, and the entire room of about 300 demonstrators breathed a simultaneous "WOW!" I think it was the most memorable part of the trip. :)

You'll need your cardstock, ribbon and a way to punch a whole. My cardstock is Pretty in Pink. The double-sided satin ribbon is from Ribbon Originals: Theatre from Stampin' Up! It is two shades of green...Old Olive and River Rock...just beautiful.


Punch a hole in your cardstock where you want your knot to be when you're finished. I used my crop-a-dile to punch a 1/8" hole for my 1/4" ribbon.




Lay your ribbon across the front of your cardstock and thread your ends through the hole from back to front. Adjust to be sure the ribbon is lying flat on the cardstock. In the picture the top is the front of the cardstock and the bottom is the back.



This is the back...







...and this is the front.







The next step is to place one end above the wrapped ribbon and the other end below. Carefully adjust your ends to be even...you'll want to reinforce the hole with your fingers so it doesn't rip out and gently pull your ends...I learned this one the hard way. :)


Tie a single knot around the ribbon that's lying flat and adjust.

Voila!! A perfect knot that doesn't require an extra hand and is neither too tight (causing the cardstock to curl) nor too loose (thus sliding off).

No comments: