Friday, April 11, 2008

Color Inspiration

So, here's my first ever color inspiration challenge. I've looked at, and intended to do, several of them on different sites, but this is the first one I've actually done...mostly because the color combination is something I'd never come up with on my own and I love it. It's from Kristina Werner's Blog and the tropical nature of the picture should be no surprise, since she just got home from the Stampin' Up! incentive trip, a caribbean cruise. Each Tuesday she posts a color inspiration photo on her blog, translates it into Stampin' Up! colors, and you can link, in your comment, to your own fulfillment of the challenge. The colors are: Very Vanilla, Tempting Turquoise, Take with Teal, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip and Close to Cocoa.





This card is a great result of going outside my comfort zone. Both the color combo and the stamp set are outside my usual style. I was completely turned off to this set (Wonderful You) in the catalog because the samples were not my style. However, I recently received a card from another demo using this set with Rose Red and Wild Wasabi and it completely transformed it for me. Now I'm so excited to play with it...already made 2 cards and planning to use it at a workshop at the end of the month. (Hi, Aunt Aggie!!)
On to my actul card: the base is Taken with Teal, a color I have quite a bit of, since I can never figure out how to use it. I wheeled the image on Close to Cocoa with my Chocolate Chip craft pad and embossed it with clear powder. The ribbons are both the polytwill from the Occasions Mini collection...you've got to handle this ribbon to believe it...I wasn't thrilled with it in the brochure, but once I got it home...can't stop using it!! I used both colors available: Chocolate Chip and Old Olive. I tied them on using the technique I posted a while back (just scroll down, you'll find it). The flower is Tempting Turquoise and the leaf stamp is Old Olive.
I used Chocolate Chip for the sentiment and all the outlines. I actually like the way the outline doesn't exactly line up with the solid image...but I still used my stamp-a-majig...I'm addicted! I swiped the edges of the Very Vanilla on my pad and used a couple of Itty Bitty Backgrounds to give it a weathered/distressed look. (If you double-click the image you can see it close-up.)
I even decorated the inside of the card (pic #2) with room for a sentiment and signature or just a little note.
So, try something outside of your usual style...you never know what you'll end up with.

No comments: