Sunday, July 6, 2008

A New Technique??

Haha...I think I created a new technique. At least, I can't find it anywhere online. I took an existing bleach technique and "tweaked" it. You can see the original bleach technique here.

Rather than simply highlighting the image, I completely bleached it and then added new color with my aquapainter. You must be very sure that the cardstock is completely dry after bleaching and before watercoloring. A heat tool is the quickest way to do this. Just be aware that the longer you heat an embossed image on colored cardstock, the more is soaks into the cardstock and the less raised the embossed image will be.

I embossed the flower from Touch of Nature in black and then used a small paint brush to apply the bleach. To keep the paper from pilling or being saturated, I applied a thin layer, dried with my heat tool and applied again until the area was white. Then I painted my flower as I would an image stamped on whisper white.

Here's my finished project:

Please note: Not all colors bleach to white...and black SU cardstock doesn't bleach at all.

Here's a pic of the back of my cardstock sampler showing (left to right) bleaching on really rust, cameo coral and ruby red. You can see that cameo coral and ruby red bleach to white, but really rust bleaches to yellow.

Stamps: Touch of Nature; Cardstock: Sage Shadow, Basic Black, Ruby Red; Ink: Versamark, Sage Shadow, So Saffron marker, Old Olive marker, Basic Black; Other: black embossing powder, black gingham ribbon, aquapainter, bleach, paint brush

1 comment:

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Wow! Very cool technique! I'm really enjoying your archives of creativity, inspiration and just plan old fun!

Thanks for sharing - Jean Fitch